Monday, June 13, 2011

SECRET OF THE AMAZON QUEEN Movie Update



Yes, it is still true! I will be directing the film adaptation of the E.A.Guest novel from LCL. Barron Entertainment and Lost Amazon Motion Pictures are the producers...

Presently, the producers at Barron have me directing a documentary this summer. SOTAQ will begin pre-production simultaneously, specifically storyboarding and production art, as well as costume design. As that progresses, I will post samples here to give you a peek. The documentary is being produced for festival and cable distribution then DVD. The producer has a relationship with HBO so cross your fingers it appears there!

SOTAQ will be filmed on a sound stage in San Diego, on location in Louisiana (Yes, believe it or not there are jungles there that look like South America!), and B roll will be shot in Peru or Brazil. I am also excited to reveal that we will be shooting practical visual effects -- that means miniatures, NOT CGI! Actually, there will be some CGI, but only to enhance certain visuals, not to serve as primary imagery. My casting director and I have begun a list of casting targets -- and you'll recognize names on that list.

I will share one little secret: Several months back, I met with a particular actress who is causing quite a stir in a blockbuster comedy currently playing in theaters. A role in SOTAQ has been enhanced especially for her and she loves the script! She wants to be in the movie and her agent/manager wants her to do the movie. When we ink the deal with her, I'll reveal who it is...

For those who have read the book, the movie is clearly the same basic tale but with a few changes. First, in order to keep the budget under control, a major subplot from the book has been replaced. I am VERY pleased with this change. Also, the period has been updated just a tad: the movie will take place in 1909 and have a real steampunk flavor, in certain regards. Yes, there will be airships and biplanes! With those come a couple of cameos you may find amusing...

I don't want to say too much right now, but keep checking in here. I will be posting more regularly!

No comments: